Friday 23 November 2012

Homes for the Holidays DIY Projects
 
As promised, here is a list of some of the great do-it-yourself projects that were used on the Winter Wonderland House at 1990 Woodlawn Terrace:
 
Snowy village globe:
Use any glass jar (something tall works well if it is at eye level) but make sure the mouth is wide enough to fit your house.  Add a bit of white rocks to the bottom for the a base, add fake snow, add a small house.  I repainted mine with Golden spray paint and repainted the white snow with craft paint on top.  I also notice little houses that you can turn the lights on with a switch from the bottom - Kind of like a flameless candle.  Then add a couple trees and you have created your own snow globe!  You could also use balls like seen in the kitchen.  Reindeer, church, snow birds, etc. to make it your own idea.
 
 
Christmas Balls Candle holder:
The four tall candles on the dining room table were from Pier 1.  I added balls in different sizes and texture to create interest and continue the color theme of the room.  However, any large glass vase with a round top could work and you could try adding a saucer or bottom of a plant pot to the top, then putting a candle on it.  Don't be afraid to paint the saucer to match.
 
 
Outdoor white Light Globes:
At the top flower bed there was three white globes lite up as you left the property.  This were simply the 70's style light fixtures turned upside down and lights added up inside.  You could use this idea year round!
 
 
Hot Chocolate Mugs:
For the fake hot chocolate on the table I simply sprayed a spray insulation foam in a clear plastic cup.  Once it dried, I picked off pieces to keep it fluffy looking and set it inside a regular coffee mug.
 
Outdoor Table centerpiece:
On the middle of the table, I cut logs into three different sizes, added small wreaths and flameless candles to create an outdoor inspired centerpiece
 
Mason Jar Candles:
Along the top wall, I used a cut log into a disc and set a mason jar on top. I used small plastic crystals from the dollar store inside, but you could also use epsom salts here as well.  Then I added a flameless candles and some red sparkle.  You could also add holly or cut up a string of red beads so that it looks like holly.  For rainy days I would put the lid on.

Mantel:
Some folks were asking if I had to secure the items on the mantel in any way.  No, but I wouldn't want to bump into it!  Start your mantel with the basic greenery cut to size.  Then add your lights.  Place the any major accent pieces like the extra large poinsettia swags on the sides.  Add your focal point like my reindeer and sleigh (could be candles, trees, ornaments, etc.) and make sure you are please with the spot.  Then work in extra greenery, picks, or swags accordingly to create balance and texture.

I hope everyone enjoyed the Homes for the Holidays event.  It was a wonderful experience that I will remember for many Christmas' to come!  Thanks to all my vendors and volunteers.  And the very supportive Homeowners! 

No comments:

Post a Comment